Census Civic Engagement Canvasser – Candidate Pool
The Inland Coalition for Immigrant Justice (IC4IJ) is dedicated to convening organizations to collectively advocate and work to improve the lives of the nearly one million immigrants in the Inland Empire.
With the Census 2020 we have a chance to begin re-shaping the future of our state through outreach, education and mobilization. The IC4IJ is currently seeking Civic Engagement Program (CEP) canvassers for our Census 2020 outreach program. The CEP canvassers will be contacting and engaging residents in the cities of Fontana and Adelanto to provide community members with accurate information on the impacts and importance of participating in the 2020 Census. Our goal is to encourage our community to participate and to ensure that any unanswered questions or concerns are properly addressed to ensure we get a complete count of Fontana and Adelanto communities.
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply. Qualified applicants will be added into our candidate pool for consideration. CEP canvassers are responsible for outreaching to residents through a variety of strategies such as tabling and boothing at events, door-to-door canvassing, phone banking and text messaging.
CEP canvassers will maintain contact goals as well as be able to;
- Engage our residents in dialogue about the importance of participating in the Census 2020 program and commit the resident, through a pledge card tool, to stay engaged with our program until confirming the submission of the Census 2020 card.
- Stay current on messaging being developed and used as trusted messengers, to ensure alignment of our work as a region.
- Attend informational training sessions and workshops regarding the Census 2020 program.
- Be willing to continually learn and be motivated to improve their own canvassing skills as well as to support the entire team achieve its organizational goals.
- Be on time daily and be ready for work.
- Meet the outreach goals set per canvasser
- Be available and committed to the Census 2020 CEP for the duration of the program
- Ideal candidates will have strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ideal candidates will be organized and maintain accurate records of their canvassing activities and materials.
- Ideal candidates will maintain a positive, personable, outgoing and enthusiastic attitude. CEP canvassers must be responsible, self-directed and able to work well in a team.
- Canvassers will be required to do some traveling and should have basic map-reading skills when working door to door.
- Canvassers must be willing to engage residents in a professional, non-partisan and respectful manner
Canvassers must be prepared to work in all types of weather, which may include rain, wind, heat and sun. Canvassers must also be able to complete light physical activities such as standing, walking or moving about for extended periods of time as they execute their canvassing through neighborhoods and events, engaging community residents. Canvassers may also be required to carry up to 10 pounds of materials/literature and water and snacks for themselves.
Education & Background:
Ideal candidates will have experience operating the basic functions of a computer, mouse and keyboard as well as be comfortable using a headset when phone banking. Candidates should be able to read from a script when engaging the community. Bilingual individuals are strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals with previous phone banking and/or canvassing experience are strongly urged to apply. All interested applicants must have a reliable form of transportation, proof of a motor vehicle license and insurance.
- Part Time (30 hours/week)
- Fontana: November 15th, 2019 – January 3rd, 2020
- Adelanto: December 1st, 2019 – January 3rd, 2020
Please submit resumes to Araceli Caldera at email@example.com
The Inland Coalition for Immigrant Justice (IC4IJ) is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. IC4IJ does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, or disability.